Custom Search

Monday, October 24, 2011

This Is Kingdom Living

I'm sitting here listening to Brian McLaren's book The Secret Message of Jesus, which I highly recommend. I'm sitting here trying to put the message of his book into a blog post, and was continuing to come up short. How can I possibly put into words the ache in my heart, the ache that longs for us to be living out the message of Jesus right now (versus waiting for His return to set it straight for us). Christ desires for us to leave aside consumerism, turn off the images on our computer and TVs that do not glorify him, and start tending to those in need. My heart is in pain at times longing to live it out myself; and even more, to share it with others. Kingdom living is not about "when will it happen", it is about making it happen now. Making it happen as a body, for each other, for His glory. It is possible, but it must be our focus. So how do I contain all this excitement? I was overwhelmed. I should have known.

I should have known to put my hope in Him. I finish up with Part 2 in the book, flick on my Facebook page, and there it is. Some children from Uganda, that I do not know, spelled out what Christ living is for me. I have no idea their situation, but I bet they know what pain is. I bet these children know what it means to go without. I bet they can relate in the some way to what my son will face as he grows to find out he didn't get to know his father. And so, anointed with the Holy Spirit, my sister in Christ - Roxanne, informed me that these children paused "Kung Fu Panda", prayed for us, made Isaac a 'Happy Birthday Isaac' banner, took a picture, and posted it on Facebook for us.




This Is Kingdom Living! So simple. So impactful. So amazing.

To my friends in Uganda, my love to you all. You have brought me tears of joy, and I am so thankful for that. May God bless you with grace and peace. I will look to you for hope in Christ, that someday I will be able to give back to the Kingdom the way you have done for me today!

You can find out more information about my friends here.

1 comment:

Xaris said...

An old friend used to say that the Christian life was always about the person next to you. That made it 24/7 rather than merely a once a week commitment or a token 'mission'. It is a smile, a word of encouragement, a helping hand, etc. I've been one of those 'tortured souls' most of my life - searching to know God, to find answers. Yet, God is love. God 'is' known as you love your children. God 'is' known in loving your neighbor. God is known in sharing your experiences in ways that help others know that they aren't alone. Thanks.